There are many thermostat brands on the market that we would take forever before exhausting their functionalities. Therefore, I zeroed in on the Nest Thermostats. Let us see what features make these thermostats amazing:
This thermostat can program itself within a week of installation. It creates a personalized schedule based on the programmed temperature. It also continues to adapt to your dynamic life. Here are the inbuilt sensors that make this happen:
- Humidity sensors
This device’s humidity sensors show you the indoor moisture and manage the entire house dehumidifier or humidifier.
- Temperature sensors
There are three sensors, and they track the temperature inside the house and how fast it changes.
- Activity sensors
These have a 150-degree wide angle view. That enables the thermostat to turn on Auto-Away in most of the house.
Safety Temperature Alerts
With this device, you shall receive alerts on your smartphone when the house is either so hot or so cold. That enables you to know before your pet overheats or your plumbing freezes.
That pops up when you have turned the thermostat to an energy efficient temperature. It points you in the right direction.
After leaving your house, the thermostat senses that you are gone thus adjusts the temperature automatically. That means that you never have to waste energy to cool or heat up an empty house.
With this thermostat, you can save some money on cooling your house during summer. The feature automatically makes the air conditioning run less when the humidity is not high yet ensures that the house stays cool.
Sometime after installation, the device gets to know how long it takes before the house gets heated up or cooled down. Therefore, it can efficiently show you how long it shall take it before reaching your desired temperature.
Cool to Dry
Are you living in a hot and humid climate? This feature helps to keep your home dry without using a dehumidifier.
If the device gets heated up by direct sun rays, it shall adjust automatically to read and then set the appropriate temperature.
One Account, Several Devices
Are you in need of smart thermostats that can communicate with more than one house? The Nest Thermostat is the ideal appliance.
- Two homes – You can control these smart thermostats in two different locations from one Nest account. All you have to do is to check the temperature of the place you are going to and adjust it to suit your needs.
- Multi-zone homes – You can control almost 20 smart thermostat devices from one account. They shall work well together and properly coordinate the Auto-Away feature.
You can efficiently adjust the schedule, alter the temperature, and get your energy history anywhere you may be as long as you have Internet access.
Using Wi-Fi, Nest smart thermostats check for the forecast as well as the current weather. That makes it understand how the outdoor temperature affects your energy consumption.
As long as your thermostat has an Internet connection, it shall receive daily software upgrades.
Nest Learning Thermostat updates its software automatically over Wi-Fi within a week of update release. The feature requires you to have Nest app 4.1 or later and thermostat software 4.3 or later.
There are some requirements for the Nest Thermostat to download an update successfully, they include:
- Internet connection
- Battery life of 3.7 V or more. However, you need not worry because if the battery life is low when the update comes in, it shall update after charging the battery.
- The thermostat is not actively cooling or heating
- You are not turning the ring to change temperature
Secure, Reliable and Private
Nest knows that it is crucial to keep everything about your tucked away from the prying or hacker’s eye. Therefore, Nest uses public key cryptography. The security features are 128-bit encryption, SSL, and HTTPs.
Besides that, there is the free Nest application that allows you to set up your Nest devices, view their statuses, and change their settings. Here are the basics:
- You can stay connected wherever you are and regardless of the appliance you are using.
- You have unlimited access to all your devices
To use the Nest application, you need:
- At least one Nest device
- A Nest account, it is free, and you can create one on the application login screen.
- A Wi-Fi network to connect to the Internet